First things, here’s the bean burger recipe:
- 1 can (540mL) mixed beans (I used a 4 bean blend)
- 3/4 c breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped (do more or less depending on how onion-y you like things)
- salt & pepper
- handful of spinach (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and garlic. Let cook for about 5 minutes or until onion is fairly tender. If you’re using spinach, add it now and cook for about 1 more minute.
- Let the onion mixture cool for a few minutes. Then put the beans, onion mixture and salt and pepper into a food processor and whirl up until things are pretty well chopped up. It doesn’t need to be entirely smooth.
- Put the bean/onion mix into a bowl and add the breadcrumbs and egg. Mix up until it comes together.
- Form 4 patties. To cook, I used a Foreman grill, but you can cook them in a pan or probably on the BBQ (although they are a little fragile until cooked well). Cook for about 6 minutes per side or until the burger is fairly firm and golden brown.
They’re pretty simple and hopefully they freeze well since I have two cooked patties in the freezer right now!